Friday, September 5, 2008

Pre-Kindergarten




Wednesday was Gracie's first day of pre-kindergarten. She missed the cut off for kindergarten by 15 days, but I still wanted her to have some kind of schooling this year. She is going to a christian school, and it's literally 1 minute from our house. I love it! She will only go three days a week from 12:30-3:15. She had a blast on her first day. She jumped around the house for a good thirty minutes when she got home. Of course she could give you a minute by minute description of what they did that day. She can't wait to go back. She said she played with some kids, but she couldn't remember their names. Then she told us about the Star Wars discussion she had with two little boys. They were discussing episode one and she asked them if Count Duku (sp) was a part of the dark side of the force. They told her yes because he was a bad guy. She has become obsessed with Star Wars lately, so she couldn't help but join into their conversation. So now she is probably going to be known as the sci-fi girl. (aka: weirdo) Just kidding! But I do wish she would have other interests besides Star Wars and Gladiators. Thank goodness she is still into kittens, it keeps her girly! :) Did you notice her little pink bag? Her teacher wanted them to all have the same sized bag for the cubbies, so she gave them each their own bag. I thought I would be clever and original and sew her name on the outside of the bag. I even put a dragonfly applique on it, I was so proud of myself. THEN... we got to school and saw all the other kids bags. Some of them looked like a craft store threw up on them. One kids bag was completely covered in puffy paint. It had his name on it and a ton of designs made out of the paint. One girls had fringe sewn around the edge and all kinds of little knick knack things sewn on it. So much for being original! At least it had her name on it, otherwise she'd be the girl with the boring bag. I guess I was relying on my past teaching experiences where we thought a kid came from a half-way decent home if he even had a backpack on the first day of school. If he had supplies in it, oh baby- that kid may even graduate from high school!! I know that sounds negative, but that's the reality for a lot of my students. I'm going to have to get use to this private school, where parents go above and beyond for their child. But don't worry, I won't get caught up with trying to out do the other moms. I will not be adding fringe and puffy paint to Gracie's bag. I'm all for making cute things for my child, but let's not get tacky! --Well, we only have another hour before school starts and Gracie is already jumping up and down. I think this will be a good year!

2 comments:

Cali and Travis said...

Wow! What a fun time. And I bet you're enjoying a few hours a week to yourself. I look forward to hearing many more of Gracie's Adventures in school. PS --How are you doing these days? I'm getting really excited for number two to get here.

Christian Blome said...

Hey Guys! That was a great story. I was cracking up Larissa! Hope you are feeling well. We moved into our new house this weekend- so we are exhausted. Can't wait to see you guys and baby Avery! Is that the right spelling? -cjbb