Monday, January 26, 2009

That's right, Avery and I are wanted women. The police showed up at our house today - asking questions. Here's the story: Avery and I ran errands today while Grace was at preschool. Our last stop was at Sally's Beauty Store to pick up some hair clips. Avery was done shopping and basically cried the whole time I was in there, so I tried to make it quick. While I was looking at something I overheard the cashier girl talking on the phone and telling someone that her wallet had been stolen while she was working. I felt so bad for her, she said everything was in there including her social security card. No one else was in the store when I got there and only one other person came in. But I could tell from her conversation that it had happened before I got there, and she had a suspicion that it was a Hispanic girl that was in earlier. I didn't think much about it. I just paid and told her I hoped her day got better. We went home and waited until it was time to get Grace. It was about time to leave so I let Kingsley out really quickly, but when I opened the door I saw a police officer coming up the walk. My heart literally stopped beating for a few seconds. I was afraid that he was coming to tell me that something had happened to either Grace or Scottie. But then he started asking me if I was at Sally's Beauty Store today. I said yes, and then he asked me if I saw anyone in the store. I was so nervous, I'm sure I sounded weird, but I couldn't believe the police were in my house. I told him what I saw and heard. He said that I was the only person that paid with a debit card and so I was the only name they had available. They have a surveillance tape, but they won't be able to view it until tomorrow. THEN he says "if you have it you can just give it back." I just stared at him for a second or two and then stuttered out, I...I ...don't have it. He said really low, "you don't?" Uhhh...no. Then he noticed Avery laying on a blanket on the floor. He asked if she had been with me in the store and I said yes. I thought - great, now he thinks I hid it in the baby carrier. He said that they would view the tape tomorrow and hopefully find the person who has it. I said that I hope so too because I feel really bad for the girl. It was such a strange experience. I felt that maybe he didn't believe me. When I got Grace from school I told her what happened and she said " did you take it mommy?" What the heck???!!! Well, just wait until they see the tape and then they will know I'm telling the truth. Why would I want to steal an 18 year olds identity? I'm sure my credit is better than hers! I really do hope they find it for her, having your wallet taken is a very scary thing. But I didn't do it - just in case you weren't sure. ;) (Do you like our wanted poster? Don't we look like criminals? Can you tell I only got three hours of sleep the night before?)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! I appreciate that the police are trying to get her wallet back, but come on! That girl should have told them that it wasn't you. My cousin the criminal!

Emily said...

That story is so funny-and I love the picture!

tlhp259 said...

Make sure you add this to Avery's baby book. Not everyone has such an exciting childhood:) Hope the week gets better.

Unknown said...

The kid does look kinda suspicious already, even this young.

reanda said...

Riss, you look sooo tired! If there is anyone in the world I would believe did not take a wallet it would be you! The guilt would kill you!