Sunday, May 6, 2007

Who Knew Green Beans Could Be So Dangerous?



Parents beware! Green beans could give your child second degree burns! Here's the story: Gracie and I stayed for a potluck dinner today at church. (Scottie was having tummy issues, so he stayed home) We were waiting for everything to be put out and our friend Josh decided to play around with Grace. He started chasing her and she ran into a crockpot that was sitting on the floor. I didn't see it happen, but when I turned around I saw the lid sticking out of the green beans. Apparently her foot went in the crockpot, don't tell the people who ate them! Our friend teased Grace and told her she had to eat all of them now. She started crying, which I interpreted as embarrassment since Josh was teasing her. But she wouldn't stop crying and I couldn't believe how dramatic she was being. I continued to talk to my friend Debbie about our upcoming garage sale and trying to ignore Gracie's dramatic cries to go home. (at this point she still hasn't said anything about being hurt) I told her that she didn't need to be embarassed and she wasn't in trouble. Finally she grabbed my face and said " my foot is burning!" I felt her shoe and her tights and they were coverd in green bean juice. I felt like the worst mother in the world! We ran to the bathroom and took her tights off. Her foot was bright red. We put ice on it and sat there for a while. It didn't start blistering until we got home. The blisters have continued to get worse, but she says they don't hurt. She has an amazing tolerance for pain!

So here are the lessons I learned today: 1: don't underestimate the danger in a crockpot of green beans 2: if your child cries uncontrollable...maybe you should stop and ask them what is wrong. Ok- I'll still feel like the worst mother in the world.

1 comment:

Teresa Russell said...

Riss-
You are so not a bad mom! Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm so glad you had a good time at the zoo. The best part about it is that it's free! AMAZING! Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. It helps to make you not feel so far away!
Love,
Teresa