Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Surprise Blessing




This morning I went to my Mom2Mom group at church, and they surprised me and another girl with baby gifts. She is due a couple of weeks after me with a little boy. I was so surprised, I didn't expect this at all. My group leader heard me talking to another mom about how sad it was for the second babies because they don't really get celebrated like the first baby does. Don't get me wrong, I think everyone gets excited for the baby, but you don't have the parties like you do with the first one. I was filling out Avery's baby book and it made me a little sad that the baby shower page was going to be empty. I told the mom that I didn't really need/want presents, I just thought it would be nice to celebrate that another baby was coming into the world. I didn't mean that they needed to actually put something together, I was just talking out loud. But they said that they also thought that every baby deserved to be celebrated. It was so nice of them to do this and give us freezer food to have after the baby is born. They went above and beyond. I just have to say what a blessing this group has been for me, as well as the church we go to every Sunday. We are so happy with this church, I'm already sad to think about leaving it when Scottie is done here. I was actually surprised iwth myself when I signed up to join the Mom2Mom group, but I wasn't nervous at all to join a group of strangers. I have felt so welcomed and a part of everything from day one. And let me just say it is a breath of fresh air after struggling in Kirksville for two years. (Not from our church there, they were awesome too!!) I tried to get involved with the spouses group at Scottie's school, but it ended up giving me more grief than relief. No matter how many things I went to, I always felt like an outsider or someone who didn't really belong. That was such a shock for me, I can't remember a time when I didn't fit in with somebody. I was very lonely there, and I was starting to feel like maybe I had lost my abilities to make friends. But in the end I think it came down to the fact that the large majority of the women in that group were from a different religion, and I just never connected with them. They had each other, and since they all believe the same things, it was hard for someone who didn't believe in their doctrine to fit in with their group. But from day one of joining this group I feel normal again. Even though we are from all sorts of different backgrounds, we truly are sisters in Christ and it has been the biggest blessing for me. Not to mention that Grace LOVES her class she goes to while we are having our group time. She gets to play with other kids and have Bible stories along with worship time. I'm so thankful for this group, and not just because they gave me presents. :) I feel loved and supported, and I'm so glad God led us to this church.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Hey Riss! Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you! Hang in there-just a few more days!

Emily

Crystal said...

You know Riss..the sad thing is, I felt like that also. I mean I did have Mr. Robert...but besides that i only had my kids and Ryan. Although i was closer and could go home more. Just thought i would let you know you werent alone