Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Twas the night before Kindergarten....


We celebrated the last day of summer with some of Gracie's favorites. After the open house at her school, which I am kicking myself for not taking any pictures of her at her seat, we went to McDonald's for lunch. I think everyone else in town had the same idea, because the play land was packed!!! Then we just chilled out at home for a while until dinner time. I made her favorite meal - tacos! Which I think are disgusting, but it's not my last night before kindergarten so I ate them with a smile for her.

Okay, I pictured this to be a lot cooler in my mind. I wanted to make something special, so I tried to make a cake into the letter K for kindergarten. I thought it would be fun to do each year before school starts, so next year would be the number 1, then the next #2 etc..... But since I am home alone now and doing everything by myself, I didn't have a lot of time or energy to make it look right. I made it to Grace's specific instructions, I just had to do it quickly since Avery was at my feet screaming. She added the sprinkles and the animals around the cake. She said they wanted to eat some of her cake too. I was too tired to argue with her and let her know that my original cake vision did not contain plastic animals. She was thrilled with it, and we got to eat cake at the end of a long day. Everything worked out just fine! :)

Grace with her pre-kindergarten pedicure and manicure. She and I went on Monday while Mom watched Avery. She loves to have the flowers drawn on her nails, and I like having my feet look nice and pretty. I think this should be a yearly tradition. Especially with the price of a pedicure being $26.00, who can afford to do it more than once or twice a year?! (Grace only costs $5.00 since they only paint them without all the scrubs and lotions.)

Her clothes are all laid out and her backpack is ready to go. The question is: am I ready to let her go???

We have been perfecting our bedtime routine, and tonight was great. I actually had her bathed, jammies on, teeth brushed, stories read, and in her bed by 8:20. So why did I find her in my bed, jammies off, and sleeping on my pillow by the time I got out of the shower? I didn't care since tomorrow is going to be such a big day. I hope I can hold it together when she leaves in the morning. I've been having that heavy heart feeling all day. I'll just have to spend the day praying for her.

Oh, and this is how Avery decided to spend the last day of summer. Licking the dishwasher. The good news is that she is learning how to pull herself up into a sitting position. She needs to hold onto something to get all the way up, but she is doing it herself. You could tell she was proud of herself. The only thing that would have made this day better would have been to have Scottie here. I know he is sad to miss Gracie's first day of kindergarten, but we'll do a video chat so she can tell him all about it. I'll try and post pictures tomorrow night!

3 comments:

Crystal said...

love the cake!!! I wish i had thought of that..maybe I will do it with Bradley!! She is such a sleeping beauty, miss seeing her sleep. Does that sound creepy-i should say nap!! Avery is getting so big!! Love to read the updates and see the pictures!

Larissa said...

When I told Grace that she had to take a rest map to school she was worried that they would make her nap like at Hickory Hills. It took me a while to convince her that it's just a twenty minute rest period. She did not want to nap at preschool, even though she slept the entire time most days. Tell Bradley we said hey!

Larissa said...

I meant rest mat, not map.