Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Where's my baby?!




Yesterday was Gracie's first day of preschool. She was so excited! She had her backpack on and we were getting ready to walk out the door when she said " I think it will be better if I just wait for the bus." I had to tell her that she wasn't riding the bus, she really wants to but I'm not really ready for that just yet. Dad and Carol were here visiting so they got to see her classroom. (this is the first time they've been able to come out since last August) Gracie wasn't too upset to see us go, she just walked over to the cars and started playing. (she didn't quite understand that they weren't going to be there we she got back from school) I had mixed emotions all day. On one hand it's nice to have the house to myself and not worry about which room Gracie is wrecking while I'm cleaning somewhere else. But it's sad to think that she is old enough to go to school. It's like being hit by a bus when you realize she isn't a baby anymore. I mean- I've known for quite a while that she isn't a baby, but it's hard to admit that you have a little girl who is going out on her own and spending the day with other adults and thirteen other kids. I kept wondering what she was doing all day. It was nice when my friend Kim watched her because I could call at lunch or Kim could tell me everything she did. But these teachers don't have time to stand there and tell me all the funny things she did or said. I guess it's time to suck it up and share my child with other people in this world.
-Anyway back to her day. When Scottie and I picked her up she still wasn't ready to leave. We basically had to drag her out. In the van we asked her about her day. She said she didn't make any friends and she played by herself. I told her it might take some time to get to know people. I'm sure she played with kids, but she couldn't remember anyone's name. We'll see if today was different. Part of me is really enjoying this independent age, but I wish I could just hold like a baby for a little bit longer.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Yay for school! As a former Kindergarten teacher, I would just like to say... thanks for not being one of those moms that clings to their kid and refuses to leave the entire day! It is soo much better for both of you that way!

Larissa said...

Well... I was going to ask if I could sit in the back with a water bottle so she could come get a drink whenever she wanted. But since you didn't let one of your parents do that, I thought they would probably tell me no as well. :)

Unknown said...

Is it my imagination or is that Colts shirt Dad's only "casual" shirt?

Shannon Webb said...

Oh my gosh - she looks soo big with her backpack on!!! I was super sad for Tman to start Preschool too - Jarod wanted to have him start Kindergarten this year - no way was I ready for that. I didn't know staying for the day was an option :) Tman's Preschool is in the same building as daycare so we didn't have a huge transition but he does have a new teacher and new classroom. His first day when I went to leave he was crying - he wanted to know if he'd still get to take a nap - this coming from a kid that will do ANYTHING to get out of naptime!!