Saturday, January 30, 2010

Baked Potato Soup


Here is another great recipe from Tasty Kitchen. I didn't get a picture of the soup I made the other night, so I used the picture from the recipe. If you are having a day where calories don't even enter your mind, then you should make this soup. I don't make it often, but there are days when the thought of bacon, cheese, and sour cream only mean yum - not fat!! I use 2% milk and light sour cream. It's funny that I now think using 2% is an indulgence from our regular fat-free milk. I grew up on whole milk, and I thought 2% was milk flavored water. Now I think it's "thick." Just a random fact about me.

Anyway, this soup is perfect for these cold snowy days. So give it a try, and then go run a couple of miles. ;)
  • 4 Large Baking Potatoes
  • 2/3 Cup (11 Tablespoons) Butter Or Margarine
  • 2/3 Cup All-purpose Flour
  • 6 Cups Milk
  • 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
  • 4 Green Onions, Chopped And Divided
  • 12 Slices Bacon, Cooked, Crumbled, And Divided
  • 1-1/4 Cups (5 Ounces) Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Divided
  • 1 (8-ounce) Carton Sour Cream
  • Chicken Bouillon (optional)

Preparation Instructions

Wash potatoes and prick several times with a fork; bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour or until done. Let cool. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise; then scoop out pulp, and set aside. Discard skins.

Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.

Add potato pulp, salt, pepper, 2 tablespoons green onions, 1/2 cup bacon, and 1 cup cheese. Cook until thoroughly heated; stir in sour cream. Add extra milk, if necessary, for desired thickness. Add little bit of chicken bouillon for extra flavoring. Serve with remaining onion, bacon, and cheese.


No comments: