Thursday, January 21, 2010

Chicken Tacos and an Alien Invasion


I wanted to share a super easy recipe for chicken tacos. I got the recipe here at the Tasty Kitchen blog. It's a community blog started by The Pioneer Woman. If you haven't been to her website before, you should check it out. She is hilarious. I've been reading her blog for a couple of years. Anyway here is the recipe if you don't want to go to the link:
  • 3 pieces Frozen Chicken Breast
  • 1 package Taco Seasoning
  • 1 can Ro-Tel Tomatoes
  • Tortillas
  • Sour Cream
  • Shredded Cheese
Place the frozen chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock pot. Sprinkle the taco seasoning on top and pour the Ro-Tel in (do not drain). Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Once you are ready to serve, shred the chicken with 2 forks. Serve on tortillas with sour cream and cheese.

I usually use just two chicken breasts, and there is plenty for the three of us. (I saved the small bit of leftovers and put them in the freezer. If it still tastes good, then I'll probably use three breasts next time so we can have more leftovers. I'll let you know how it goes.) I also don't use the whole packet of taco seasoning, but that's because I'm not a huge fan of Mexican flavors. So if you love tacos, by all means throw all of it in there! Do not substitute the Ro-Tel tomatoes with plain tomatoes, it won't have as much flavor.
To warm the tortillas I used an ungreased skillet over med. heat and put a tortilla in there one at a time. Leave on for 15 seconds and then flip over for another 15 seconds. It made them soft and warm. I would also recommend the sour cream, or maybe some queso (if you dislike sour cream like me) because the tacos can be a little dry without it. They still taste good, but it would definitely add to the dish!


Do you see what she is doing? Do you see that smile? We certainly haven't seen it in a while. She has been very crabby and moody for the past month or so. It warmed my heart to see her smiling. I asked Scottie if aliens had invaded her body, because not only was she happy, she was helping!! Part of the reason, I'm sure, was because we told her that if she had good behavior she could watch the movie UP. I may have thrown in the promise of popcorn and a cold bottle of root beer. ;) But to be honest I think a lot of it has to do with our new house rule. No t.v. until after dinner. Plus we have moved her bedtime up to an earlier time. Anything to help bring some peace to our house! I think it's starting to help. She was actually skipping and playing with her toys yesterday after school. Let's pray that it's the added structure to our home that's helping and not aliens!!!

Look at my table! She put away all of the food, scraped the dinner dishes, and washed the table. I could get use to this. I hope we weren't breaking any child labor laws! I'm also not counting on this happening every night, but I'll take it when I can get it.

She got her reward! Popcorn, root beer, and a movie.

Avery is so sweet. She likes to feed people. I love this kid.

I am having a problem with her eating habits... she doesn't eat very much!! She would eat fruit all day if you let her. Vegetables? Maybe a few peas, corn, and occasionally cooked carrots. But there are no guarantees. She also wants to feed herself, just like Gracie did when she was younger. I tried to give her a cookie, but she wouldn't take it unless I gave her the box. THEN she would a couple. I don't know about this one.

(Look at my mighty hunting dog! He is ready to strike at any moment. He is quick too! As soon as something lands on the ground, it's gone.)

Her cuteness smooths away all of the frustrations. She thinks Cookie Monster is a bear. I love to hear her say "bare." It makes me forget that she was just screaming for the box, and just threw half of her lunch on the floor. Now you know why I colored my hair the other day... to cover up all the gray hairs I've gotten recently!! But they are both worth it.

4 comments:

tlhp259 said...

LOVE your family photo :)
Another great taco receipe:
chicken breasts, 1 cup of salsa, 2 TBs of enchillada sauce
cook 350 for 30 to 45 minutes
Very moist and yummy - we top it with colby cheese, black olives, lettuce, tomatoe, sour cream and guacamolie
Child labor laws HA HA! John thinks we have kids to mow the lawn and make our beds. HA Someday you will have to ask him how that is working out;)

Larissa said...

Thanks Tabitha! I really miss my long hair. I cut it off in August because it was too much work to keep it up with Avery at my feet all the time. But now that she is older I'm growing it back out.

I can just see John cracking a whip at little Grantham, telling him to make your bed faster!! ;)

Unknown said...

Oh, I LOVE the Pioneer Woman. She is too funny!

Kels said...

I just had to point out that on the first picture of Grace doing the dishes, I noticed your "Larissa" plate.... I can't believe you still have that and it is usable! Very cute pictures... I wish I could be a bigger part of my wonderful nieces lives... I'm not sure if Avery really knows me :( I want to see you guys again soon! Love you all!